The Inez was named in honor of Inez Lenore Fass Scherck, the daughter of one
of the original owners. The young Inez placed a 1904 quarter under the first
brick laid for the hotel, according to information found in the building's cornerstone.
The original building was finished in 1904 and the architect was G.T. Hallas
of Hazlehurst. Later, a 24 room annex was completed in 1926. Originally, the
building housed single hotel rooms, public baths, an elegant lobby and restaurant.
Outside the second floor was a balcony which ran the length and width of the
building on Monticello Street and Railroad Avenue.
The hotel was the center of social life
for much of southwest Mississippi during
its heyday. The second floor was used as
a restaurant and as a ballroom for City Club,
a local social club. Some of the downstairs
area was once used by drummers from northern
manufacturing firms who displayed their wares
there to southwest Mississippi merchants.
Hotels were usually the center of all social
activity in a small town. When people go
back to their hometowns, they usually want
to see the churches, the schools and the
hotel. The Inez stand on the site of Brookhaven's
first brick building which was completed
in 1865. It was demolished in 1904 for the